Intersil's New LDO Regulators Provide Best-in-Class Dropout and Transient Performance for Sensitive Loads
ISL80510 and ISL80505 deliver clean output voltage to CPUs, DSPs and MCUs
Intersil Corporation (NASDAQ: ISIL) introduced two new high performance, single output low-dropout (LDO) voltage regulators that provide best-in-class dropout and transient performance for noise sensitive loads. The ISL80510 and ISL80505 deliver 1A and 0.5A of continuous output current and ultra-low dropout of 130mV and 45mV at full load, respectively. The ISL80510’s maximum dropout is nearly 50% lower than the nearest competitor, which enables lower power dissipation in industrial, wired and wireless equipment.
Intersil’s ISL80510/05 LDOs also provide better transient performance with peak-to-peak excursions up to nine times lower than competitive LDOs. This transient performance level and DC accuracy of 1.8% safeguards against voltage undershoots and overshoots to deliver clean point-of-load voltage to CPUs, DSPs and MCUs, which require tight voltage accuracy and low noise.
“We increasingly see a broad range of applications that need a cost-effective, yet high performance LDO solution to address noise sensitive loads,” said Mark Downing, senior vice president of Infrastructure and Industrial Power Products at Intersil. “The pin-compatible ISL80510 and ISL80505 easily satisfy this requirement with best-in-class dropout and transient response, and programmable soft-start features at the right price point.”
Key Features and Specifications of ISL80510 and ISL80505
• ISL80510 single-output LDO voltage regulator enables best-in-class dropout of 130mV at Vout of 2.5V with a 1A load current
• ISL80505 single-output LDO voltage regulator enables ultra-low dropout of 45mV at Vout of 2.5V with a 500mA load current
• Stable operation with a small 4.7μF output ceramic capacitor
• Delivers ±1.8% Vout accuracy guaranteed over line, load and junction temperature range of -40°C to +125°C
• Programmable output soft-start supports sequencing and helps power supply designer control inrush current
• Current limit protection and thermal shutdown function safeguards against excessive load current or operating temperature.
Pricing and Availability
The ISL80510 and ISL80505 are available now and priced at $0.39 USD in 1k quantities. Both LDOs are pin-to-pin compatible and supplied in thermally enhanced 8-lead, 3mm x 3mm DFN packages. The ISL80510EVAL1Z evaluation board is available now and priced at $20 USD. Designers can use it to quickly evaluate the features and performance of the 1A ISL80510 and 500mA ISL80505.